Home Page

WESTERN UPPER PENINSULA HERITAGE TRAIL NETWORK of MICHIGAN
2 South 6th Street, Suite 14, Crystal Falls, MI 49920 ~ 906-875-0603
Michigan's Upper Peninsula Counties of

Baraga     Gogebic    Houghton    Iron    Keweenaw    Ontonagon

Baraga County

  1. Canyon Falls
  2. Alberta Village Museum
  3. Sturgeon River Falls and Gorge
  4. Little Mountain
  5. L'Anse Waterfront & Township Hall
  6. Arvon State Quarry
  7. Mount Arvon
  8. Point Abbaye
  9. Pequaming
  10. Bishop Baraga Shrine
  11. Baraga County Museum
  12. Hanka Finnish Homestead Museum
  13. Assinins

Gogebic County

  1. Depot Museum

  2. Historic Ironwood Theater

  3. Memorial Building

  4. Gogebic County Courthouse

  5. Ramsay "Keystone" Bridge

  6. Plymouth Open Pit Mine

  7. Alligator Eye

  8. Presque Isle Scenic Area

  9. Black River Harbor National Scenic Byway

  10. Copper Peak

  11. Bald Mountain Interpretive Trail

  12. Little Girl's Point

  13. Lake Superior Cliffs Battle Site

Houghton County

  1. Coppertown Mining Museum
  2. Chassell Heritage Center
  3. A.E. Seaman Mineral Museum
  4. Joseph Bosch Building &Lindell Chocolate Shoppe
  5. The Finnish-American Heritage Center
  6. Quincy Mine Historic Site & Tour
  7. Houghton County Historical Museum
  8. Laurium Manor
  9. Historic Calumet
  10. F.J. McLain State Park
  11. Copper Range Historical Museum
  12. Champion #4 Rock Shafthouse
  13. Jacobsville Lighthouse

Iron County

  1. Iron County Museum
  2. Pentoga Park Indian Burial Grounds
  3. Alpha Circle Historic District
  4. Iron County Courthouse
  5. Harbour House
  6. Mansfield Location and Pioneer Church
  7. Amasa Museum
  8. Fortune Pond
  9. Be Wa Bic State Park
  10. Larson Park
  11. Apple Blossom Trail
  12. Lake Ottawa Rec Area and Campground
  13. Mile Post Zero and Treaty Tree
  14. Camp Gibbs Recreation Area

Keweenaw County

  1. Cliff Mine
  2. Phoenix Church and Townsite
  3. Central Mine
  4. Delaware Copper Mine
  5. Keweenaw Mountain Lodge
  6. Estivant Pines
  7. Fort Wilkins State Park
  8. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and Museum
  9. Rathbone School
  10. Bammert Blacksmith Shop

Ontonagon County

  1. Bond Falls
  2. Agate Falls/ Trout Creek Mill Pond
  3. Military Hill
  4. Adventure Mine Site
  5. Ontonagon County Historical Museum
  6. Rockland Museum
  7. Old Victoria Restoration and Dam
  8. Ottawa National Forest Bergland Heritage Center
  9. Silver City/ Bonanza Falls
  10. Porcupine Mountains Wilderness Park

 

 

 

Keweenaw County
K-1 Cliff Mine

The Cliff, which began operations in 1844, was the Keweenaw’s first profitable mine. The mine produced 40 million pounds of copper, much of it being chiseled from great masses weighing 100 tons or more. The village of Clifton was named after the mine and was located near the church foundation and cemetery.

Location: N from Ahmeek on Cliff Dr., then follow Cliff Cemetery sign. More information: 906-289-4990.

K-2 Phoenix Church and Townsite

St. Mary’s Church was built in 1858 to serve the Catholic residents in the mining community of Cliff, the scene of the area’s first major copper discovery in 1844. Services continued until 1899 when the church was dismantled and reassembled in Phoenix, where it was renamed The Church of Assumption.

Masses were held until 1957, marking a century of providing spiritual guidance to mining families and their descendants. In 1985 the Keweenaw County Historical Society took over the property and began extensive repair and restoration work. Although now deconsecrated, the church is still used for weddings, memorial services, and an annual blessing of the pets. Look for nearby foundations of the school and Methodist Episcopal Church.

 Location: On US 41 in Phoenix at the junction of M-26 to Eagle River. More information: 906-289-4990, 906-337-2244 or www.keweenawhistory.org.

 

K-3 Central Mine

One of the most noteworthy historic sites in Keweenaw County is Central Mine, the village and site of a mine begun in 1854. By the time it closed in 1898, the mine had produced 51,875,527 pounds of refined copper. The Keweenaw County Historical Society has acquired a total of 58 acres in Central since 1996, which includes original residences. There are 10 houses and a Methodist Church. Four of the houses are rented to seasonal residents. The church is open one day per year during the Central Reunion at the end of July. A visitor center is open daily during the summer with numerous exhibits.

Location: On US 41, 4 miles N of Phoenix, located on a hillside. More information: 906-289-4990, 906-337-2244 or www.keweenawhistory.org.

K-4 Delaware Copper Mine

Delaware is one of the earliest copper mines in the area, having operated from 1847 until 1887, at the start of the country’s first major mining boom. Approximately 8 million pounds of copper were extracted from the site during its 40-year operation. Opened in 1977, the Delaware Copper Mine has been preserved just as it was left at its 1887 closing. Visitors descend 100 feet below ground on stairs through the 31-foot shaft, and venture 900 feet through the mine’s first level where the story of 1800s mining is told. Mining equipment, antique engines and trains are displayed throughout the grounds, and a deer pen features two miniature deer. All are accessible via a picturesque walking trail. A gift shop to greet guests with an orientation video completes the facilities.

Location: 38 miles N of Houghton and 12 miles S of Copper Harbor on US 41. More information: 906-289-4688 or http://delawarecopperminetours.com/

K-5 Keweenaw Mountain Lodge

The Keweenaw Mountain Lodge and Golf Course is surrounded by the wild and majestic beauty of Lake Superior and the Keweenaw Peninsula. The original 1935 lodge, a Civil Works Administration Project, is an example of rustic elegance. Lodge amenities include a picturesque dining room, 34 rustic log cabins with fireplaces, an 8-unit motel, and a conference center that can accommodate 250 guests.  Activities include a 9-hole golf course, non-motorized trails, snowshoeing and a snowboarding terrain park. Enjoy nearby Copper Harbor, with access to Isle Royale and numerous shops just a mile down the road.

Location: 1 mile S of Copper Harbor on US 41. More information: 906-289-4403 or www.atthelodge.com.

K-6 Estivant Pines

Estivant Pines Nature Sanctuary, approximately 500 acres, is the largest virgin white pine forest in Michigan. Two looped trails of about a mile each, lead visitors on easy-to-moderate hikes through this magnificent forest ecosystem. The Estivant name comes from the French family that owned the property, including nearby Clark Mine. The pines were saved from logging many times due to harsh terrain and weather, and were saved from the saw forever thanks to the efforts of local activists and a timely purchase by the Michigan Nature Association. The oldest white pines are estimated to be about 500 years old. Location:

On US 41, turn right in Copper Harbor. Take Manganese Rd. to Clark Mine Rd. and then turn right at the beaver pond. The pines are located approximately 6/10 of a mile farther. More information: 906-281-3500.

 

K-7 Fort Wilkins State Park

Built in 1844 to keep the peace in Michigan’s booming copper country, Fort Wilkins is a well-preserved example of a nineteenth century frontier military outpost. The fort was abandoned in 1846, but re-garrisoned in the late 1860s to house Civil War veterans. Long a popular resort for outdoor enthusiasts, the fort became a state park in 1923. Twelve original structures survived, and army life comes alive through exhibits and living history costumed interpretation. The state park also contains copper mining sites from the 1840s, and a lighthouse museum with restored buildings from 1848 to1866.

Location: On US 41, one mile E of Copper Harbor. More information: 906-289-4215..

K-8 Eagle Harbor Lighthouse & Museums

In the mid-19th century, when roads to this area were almost nonexistent, the infant community of Eagle Harbor saw a dramatic increase in waterborne commerce, including incoming settlers and supplies and outgoing shipments of copper and logs. Lake Superior's unreliable disposition meant incoming and passing ships needed navigational assistance, and in 1851 the original lighthouse was commissioned. In 1871 the lighthouse was replaced with the present red brick structure. The Keweenaw County Historical Society became the 22nd "keeper of the light" in 1982, and through museum exhibits, period furnishings and interpretive devices, the history of this structure has been brought back into focus. Besides the lighthouse, there are three museums on the lighthouse site: the Maritime Museum is in the old fog signal building; copper mining in the garage buildings; and a commercial fishing exhibit in the assistant light keeper's house. This is the only light that is still operated by the Coast Guard. The Keweenaw County Historical Society became the owner of the buildings and property in 1999.

Location: US 41 to M-26. In Eagle Harbor, take Lighthouse Road. Open June-October. More information: 906-289-4990, 906-337-2244 or www.keweenawhistory.org.

 

K-9 Rathbone School

This one-room school has had an unusual career since classes were dismissed for the last time in 1872. Justus H. Rathbone, who began teaching here in 1860, conceived the idea in this building for the rituals of the Knights of Pythias, a secret fraternal society that he founded. This interdenominational organization, which had a peak membership of a quarter-million, carries on charitable work, always placing great emphasis on its high moral standards. The site has long been an object of pilgrimage by society members from the United States and Canada. In 1982, the property was deeded to the Keweenaw County Historical Society, whose extensive restoration and interpretive work assures that this small corner of Keweenaw’s past will have a meaningful future.

Location: Eagle Harbor, two blocks W of the harbor on Center St. More information: 906-289-4990, 906-337-2244 or www.keweenawhistory.org.

K-10 Bammert Blacksmith Shop

Bammert Blacksmith Shop was built in 1882 at Clifton. The building was moved in 1901 to its present location at Phoenix. The building was re-opened in the spring of 2000. The original blacksmith tools are on display. Open to the public.

Location: 1/2 mile from US 41 on M-26 in Phoenix. More information: 906-289-4990, 906-337-2244 or www.keweenawhistory.org.

 

Back to Introduction Page

 

Web design by JMJM Enterprises, LLC

Report site difficulties to webmaster